The village is most famous for its Royal Sussex Trugs, named so because the inventor of the Trug, and founder of our company, Thomas Smith, sold some personally to Queen Victoria at The Great Exhibition in Hyde Park, London, in 1851. Smith’s made the Royal Sussex Trug in the village from 1829 until 2003. For a period of time Herstmonceux Castle housed the Royal Greenwich Observatory and the observatory buildings are still there, now housing a Science Centre, which is well worth a visit. The Castle itself is home to International Business Study Centre of Queens University from Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Each year at the end of August there is a medieval fair held in the Castle grounds and people come from many miles around to see Knights jousting and the fun of the medieval fair. www.the-observatory.org & www.herstmonceux-castle.com There are lots of thing s going on in the village and details can be found on the village website www.herstmonceuxvic.org.uk